Today, I found some time for a long due update of the CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) of my blog.

First of all, I made it fixed with to better host advertising banners, With a fixed size layout you can anticipate how users will see the site a little better, and know the banner won't get lost in case the browser width is very large (for one, I have a 1,600+ width resolution on my portable).

I've changed my main div style as follows:

#main-box {
padding: 0.2em 0.2em 0.2em 0.2em;
background: #FFFFFF url("/css/content-orange.gif") repeat-x repeat-y;
border: 1px solid #eee;
margin: 0 auto;
width: 1000px;

Next, I've increased the font size of the overall web site, trying to make it more readable (I used to like small font sites, maybe I'm getting older...), also because I noticed Joel remarks that his blog was succesfull "mostly" because he had picked a very readable font.

In a few minutes, I'll move the "google search" section to the side menu (over the google ads), and I'll be done for now. Of course, some of the old pages might not be that readable any more. If you see any problem let me know.

By the way, I read most of "CSS Mastery" by Andy Budd recently and found it a very nice reading! I still have to update the content anchors for automatic adding the _blank target and apply another couple of tricks. Oh, yes, and I'll need a graphic designer to spice up the site colors a little bit.

Update (Jan 15th)

Well, after all the comments I reverted back the width to fit the available browser window. I still think the formatting will suffer from similar flexibility, but I do understand the complaints as well. I've kept other changes and set the "rounded top" effect to all elements, using a custom Mozilla style (no rounding for Internet Explorer users, sorry).